Sunday, October 16, 2011

Korea: 8 Months In

Today marks my eighth month in Korea, so to acknowledge the this event I'm putting some pictures up here.  To say that I've been lazy and forgetful in terms of photos would be a vast understatement.  Not only do I forget to bring my camera (conveniently placed on a shelf by my door) everywhere, I also often tell myself that there won't be any point lugging it along for particular trips on the assumption that there won't be anything overly photo-worthy.  This assumption proves wrong again and again.  How many mountain hikes I've forgotten to take it on as I dash out the door in the morning to meet my ride, and subsequently how many breathtaking vistas I don't have any photo evidence of, I don't even know anymore (but I also forgot water once, so this ineptitude isn't limited to the camera).  Here are some choice shots that I like anyway.


See-sawing near the temple grounds.






Hill top pagoda in Yecheon (early Spring)

My bustling and pleasant small town, Yecheon.

Our beloved and easygoing river, the Han-cheon.
Morning at the market in Daegu
My first (and only?) attempt at traditional bamboo painting. 



Sunset near my guesthouse on Jeju-do (Jeju island)

Islands sit ghostly in the mist off Jeju's coast.

Rugged coastline in Jeju


Chionjiyeon waterfall, Jeju

Stumbling upon the beach of my dreams on the island of U-do.

The beautiful U-do island, which we toured on a rented ATV.

Traditional Jeju island village


The verdant countryside around Yecheon during the tail-end of Summer.
Family burial plots adorn the grassy hillside.

The quirky and very realistic Sun Cruise hotel at Jeongdongjin, Gangwon province.

View from my balcony at the Sun Cruise hotel.




Pork anyone?  (from Yecheon's harvest festival, Oct. 16th, 2011)

Kimchi cod!



At the IAAF World Championship in Athletics, Daegu

Starting off with a dance

Celebration of flags

The runners line up.







The cool autumn sun sets behind the track at Andong University


Another  evening falls over Korea, with a new morning soon to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment